As a CCGT plant owner, I want to explore integration of BESS with my plant operations to provide flexibility and power management services to TSO
- Develop and validate a PI-BESS demonstrator on an existing Combined Cycle Gas Turbine
- Demonstrate the technical and commercial advantages of this innovative integrated solution when compared to a “stand-alone” BESS connected directly to the grid.
- Important milestone has been achieved with the collaboration work of demo 6 and 7 in calculation of the parameters considering the battery and its model enhancement supporting by a test campaign. Demo 7 also completed the Easy 5 platform simulation with adding plant electrical components. The simulation platform is operating like a hybrid power plant with gas turbine, steam turbine, boiler, BESS and electrical distribution. The system is working in parallel with the real control system of the hybrid power plant
- To support exploitation, analysis of power plant & market real data to understand the business model was done. This exercise allows to understand how the flexibility of the power plant can be improved. Results has been used for the development of the BESS control software implementation.
- Other technical achievements include:
- Development of the real control system of the hybrid power plant with integrating the BESS control system developed during the second period. This part is considered as the main body of the control software.
- Development & test of the first ancillary services: the primary response. This task has been composed of the functional analysis of the services, the development of the associated control sequences and the insertion in the body of the control software, the definition of the test scenario and tests. This phase ended with the result analysis and the KPIs characterization.
- Development & test of the following list of ancillary services: Fast frequency response, fast load and fast ramp and black start This task has been composed of the functional analysis of the services, the development of the associated control sequences and the insertion in the body of the control software, the definition of the test scenario and tests and the characterization of KPIs.
- With Matlab Simulink, evaluation of voltage and angular stability brought by the PI-BESS.
- BESS electrical integration to optimize the Point of Connection of the BESS, evaluation of short-circuit characteristics and determination of protection settings.